Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Browser Wars: The Big Three

Firefox 6.0, Chrome 13, Internet Explorer 9

Like them or hate them...either way, there they are.  The newest releases from the 3 web browsers with the largest market share.  A discussion popped up in my web development class a few days ago about not all browsers are created equal.  Something that is the bane of all web developers existence.  Coding to cover all of the CSS rendering differences (among others) between these 3 can cause migraines.

Out of curiosity, I figured it would be important for my classmates to know who had the largest market shares as that is who I have always used to base my coding on in the past.  As a developer, for me that is, I decided I wasn't going to design sites in Firefox only to have them not render properly in IE (which is nearly always the case).  I code and check in IE first, if all is well, then check it in the other browsers before going live.  Checking along the way always makes it easier to change, especially if you know the code may be touchy or new to you.

Here are the latest figures on web browsers as pulled from Wikipedia  on September 13, 2011:











The interesting fact here is look how close Firefox is to IE.  And even more interesting is how close late comer Chrome is to Firefox!  In my heart of hearts, I do so hope that someday IE is knocked out of the race completely.  No offence IE but when it comes to web development, I really like it when browsers work to help us, not hinder progress.  To the right is a global perspective since the world is a fairly large place.


Interesting information, glad I looked again because IE has continually lost market share every month.  And look at how orange that map is!  See Dorothy, dreams really do come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment